Anybody else watching the Derek Chauvin trial? Predictions?

notatrumpfan

I think most folks have a pretty good idea how they would be leaning if they were on the jury. Your thoughts?

drssg

Regular
I don't have a prediction. I hope that they were able to find jurors who do NOT already know which way they are leaning and are willing to listen to all the evidence with an open mind and make fair decision, based on the law.

It's one thing to have a personal gut feel. It's another thing to be the ones making the decision.

It is not encouraging that the city allows criminals to define a police-free zone at the scene of the incident. That zone has not been a shining example of how great it would be to defund the police, and yet it goes on.

Molalla1

TNTeenager
Instead of justice it might come down to public opinion . . . not really a prediction just my thought.

JerryBob

Peanut Gallery
Watch the 9 1/2 min tape....he clearly killed the guy....he is a scumbag....will the jusry find him guilty....who knows...I hope so....if they don;t convict him...riots will take place all over the country.....people of all colors...including whites...will see the injustice......hope they hang him.

MC

Administrator
Staff member
I watched the entrie video last year when it happened and I don't see how any reasonable person could doubt that he knew he was killing the guy. There's no way he gets acquitted, that's for sure.

Gator6x4

TNTeenager
I watched the entrie video last year when it happened and I don't see how any reasonable person could doubt that he knew he was killing the guy. There's no way he gets acquitted, that's for sure.
To early in the trial to say that.

Remember also the two recent Jury Nullifications we have witnessed on television.

notatrumpfan

If the makeup of the jury is anything like the makeup of society in general there will be at least a couple of jurors that believe that police can do no wrong and at least a couple that believe police can do no right. Should make for some very interesting discussions in the jury room. Personally I don't see an aquittal in his future either.

Gator6x4

TNTeenager
If the prosecutors have a Medical Authority that can testify the knee on the neck was the direct cause of death it will be a slam dunk case. If no such evidence is introduced then an acquittal could occur.

drssg

Regular
If the makeup of the jury is anything like the makeup of society in general there will be at least a couple of jurors that believe that police can do no wrong and at least a couple that believe police can do no right. Should make for some very interesting discussions in the jury room. Personally I don't see an aquittal in his future either.
The jury selection process is supposed to remove people with extreme views on either end. In that respect, the jury should NOT be like the makeup of society in general.

If the jury contains people with extreme viewpoints on both ends, wouldn't that tend to lead to a hung jury?

JerryBob

Peanut Gallery
Remember Rodney King and OJ......I lived through those trials....the courtrooms were four blocks from my office.......I remember watching tanks on the street and could see fires burning from our heliport after the injustice of the King trial.....wierd things happen in trials......will be interesting to see how this one turns out and the reaction of the people based on the verdict.

Mace Canute

Blabbermouth
Top Poster Of Month

Even though I agree 100% with you, I wouldn't be surprised if he was acquitted.

Mace Canute

Blabbermouth
Top Poster Of Month

The terminology used varies; in most martial arts, the term "chokehold" or "choke" is used for all types of grappling holds that strangle. This can be misleading as most holds aim to strangle not choke with the exception of "air chokes" (choking means "to have severe difficulty in breathing because of a constricted or obstructed throat or a lack of air"[2]). In Judo terminology, "blood chokes" are referred to as "strangleholds" or "strangles" while "air chokes" are called "chokeholds" or "chokes".[1] In forensics, the terms "strangle" and "stranglehold" designate any type of neck compression,[3] while in law-enforcement they are referred to as "neck holds".[4]

Blood chokes (or carotid restraints / sleeper holds) are a form of strangulation that compress one or both carotid arteries and/or the jugular veins without compressing the airway, hence causing cerebral ischemia and a temporary hypoxic condition in the brain.[5] A well applied blood choke may lead to unconsciousness in 10–20 seconds. Injury or death is plausible if the arteries remain constricted for more than 20 seconds. Compared to strangulation with the hands, properly applied blood chokes require little physical strength.[6]

"Training and Education
If you are going to use a chokehold, you need proper training and need to know if it is permitted by policy. Proper training includes recognizing unconsciousness, so that chokes are not applied any longer than necessary, especially the air choke. Further, it is vital that officers understand that certain members of the population are at higher risk of incurring injury or death as a result of a chokehold. Such individuals include those with cardiac disorders and younger people whose central nervous systems have not completely developed.

Continuing training is necessary in order to ensure that officers are up-to-date with the latest knowledge about chokeholds, and to help them maintain their familiarity with performing them. Such education needs to include the anatomy of the neck, medical issues, necessary precautions, and proper application. Also, it is essential that officers receive training on reviving an assailant who has fallen unconscious. Such skills should be learned from expert trainers, and not just from an article, as both practice and theory are necessary in order to master the safe use of a chokehold.

Both the air choke and blood choke require initial and continued training, as it is vital that officers understand possible medical issues, necessary precautions, the anatomy of the neck, and proper application before attempting to perform such techniques."

Now that cop wants people to believe he didn't know how dangerous his kneeling on the guy's neck for over 7 3/4 minutes was... :rolleyes:

California

TNTeenager
Mark my words - Chauvin's defense will do everything they can to turn the focus of the trial to George Floyd's integrity, instead of Chuvin's actions. This may well go to acquittal or a hung jury.

Schrute Farm

TNTeenager
The little I've seen, I believe the defense will try to blame the PD and he was just following his training.

Gator6x4

TNTeenager

The terminology used varies; in most martial arts, the term "chokehold" or "choke" is used for all types of grappling holds that strangle. This can be misleading as most holds aim to strangle not choke with the exception of "air chokes" (choking means "to have severe difficulty in breathing because of a constricted or obstructed throat or a lack of air"[2]). In Judo terminology, "blood chokes" are referred to as "strangleholds" or "strangles" while "air chokes" are called "chokeholds" or "chokes".[1] In forensics, the terms "strangle" and "stranglehold" designate any type of neck compression,[3] while in law-enforcement they are referred to as "neck holds".[4]

Blood chokes (or carotid restraints / sleeper holds) are a form of strangulation that compress one or both carotid arteries and/or the jugular veins without compressing the airway, hence causing cerebral ischemia and a temporary hypoxic condition in the brain.[5] A well applied blood choke may lead to unconsciousness in 10–20 seconds. Injury or death is plausible if the arteries remain constricted for more than 20 seconds. Compared to strangulation with the hands, properly applied blood chokes require little physical strength.[6]

"Training and Education
If you are going to use a chokehold, you need proper training and need to know if it is permitted by policy. Proper training includes recognizing unconsciousness, so that chokes are not applied any longer than necessary, especially the air choke. Further, it is vital that officers understand that certain members of the population are at higher risk of incurring injury or death as a result of a chokehold. Such individuals include those with cardiac disorders and younger people whose central nervous systems have not completely developed.

Continuing training is necessary in order to ensure that officers are up-to-date with the latest knowledge about chokeholds, and to help them maintain their familiarity with performing them. Such education needs to include the anatomy of the neck, medical issues, necessary precautions, and proper application. Also, it is essential that officers receive training on reviving an assailant who has fallen unconscious. Such skills should be learned from expert trainers, and not just from an article, as both practice and theory are necessary in order to master the safe use of a chokehold.

Both the air choke and blood choke require initial and continued training, as it is vital that officers understand possible medical issues, necessary precautions, the anatomy of the neck, and proper application before attempting to perform such techniques."

Now that cop wants people to believe he didn't know how dangerous his kneeling on the guy's neck for over 7 3/4 minutes was... :rolleyes:
Mace, maybe he is like Trump, very selective in his belief. Trump doesn’t believe COVID-19 is real and it has killed over 529 thousand people.

Schrute Farm

TNTeenager
Mace, maybe he is like Trump, very selective in his belief. Trump doesn’t believe COVID-19 is real and it has killed over 529 thousand people.
Any chance you can stick to the subject and leave Trump out of this?

lostcreekranch

Blabbermouth
WTF does that have to do .. with the subject of this thread .. D U M B A S S ???

Are you totally incapable of focusing on anything .. but your TDS addled, pathetic, narcissistic, extreme, case of massive BUTT HURT?