• We will be this forum soon. Please save any content that you wish to preserve by July 5, 2022. Thank you.

I'm beginning to hate the VA ...

Diggin_It!

Regular
... and I haven't even been able to use them yet.

Got signed up on their site and had all the stuff, booklets, cards and whatever else sent to me just before the hooey hit the fan in late '20. I'm not doing any kind of medical appointments, but I've had several questions about things. I can log in and look at my file, personal details and all and send/receive secure messages, but I have yet to get a straight, informative answer about anything I've asked either by message or phone call. I even stopped by the local clinic one day and not only wouldn't they let me inside (hooey protocols and all), but they wouldn't bother to look anything up for me.

Even simple questions like am I covered for Part D. They have different levels of coverage so no one but them can answer. In my account page and in the handbook they sent,. the information is vague at best and downright contradictory in some ways.

Local office says call Registration at Regional. Registration says call the national 800 number. National 800 number says call your local clinic.

Molalla1

TNTeenager

Got signed up on their site and had all the stuff, booklets, cards and whatever else sent to me just before the hooey hit the fan in late '20. I'm not doing any kind of medical appointments, but I've had several questions about things. I can log in and look at my file, personal details and all and send/receive secure messages, but I have yet to get a straight, informative answer about anything I've asked either by message or phone call. I even stopped by the local clinic one day and not only wouldn't they let me inside (hooey protocols and all), but they wouldn't bother to look anything up for me.

Even simple questions like am I covered for Part D. They have different levels of coverage so no one but them can answer. In my account page and in the handbook they sent,. the information is vague at best and downright contradictory in some ways.

Local office says call Registration at Regional. Registration says call the national 800 number. National 800 number says call your local clinic.
Diggin, I am fully covered by our VA . . . do I use them . . . only if I have to (never have) . . . ;).

Gator6x4

Blabbermouth
Diggin, I am fully covered by our VA . . . do I use them . . . only if I have to (never have) . . . ;).
‘I also am covered by VA. I don’t use them but do have the appropriate ID cards for treatment at any VA facility or a civilian hospital if medical treatment is needed and a VA facility is not readily available. I also annually have an appointment to prove I am still alive. I would suggest you do the same so in the event you do need VA Service you will not have to go through a vetting process before they will talk to you.

Last edited:

Gator6x4

Blabbermouth

Diggin as I understand it, VA part D drug availability is applicable to vets not receiving VA benefits because they are disabled if a VA doctor writes them a prescription. Disabled vets have the option availability of having any and all prescription filled regardless of the Doctor that wrote the prescription civilian, military or VA.

Diggin_It!

Regular
I don't know what I have (or don't) since nobody will take the time to sit down and talk to me and explain things. The Booklet, the website and Registration all say to contact my local clinic to get the ID card. The local clinic says they don't do that. Registration is at the regional hospital 80+ miles way in another state and I ain't drivin' there.

Diggin_It!

Regular
Diggin as I understand it, VA part D drug availability is applicable to vets ...
I'm aware of what things are supposed to be. But there are a number of levels of coverage based in individual circumstances and what's in my personalized booklet of coverages doesn't match what's on the website.

Diggin_It!

Regular
When signing up initially, I fat fingered my DOB, missed one digit. NOBODY could fix it Not the clinic, not registration, not DC, not even the ID people at a local base, not even if I sent photo ID and a birth certificate. They all knew it was incorrect and which digit was wrong because they could see my records with the correct numbers. Without that, I couldn't get verified and upgraded to Premium to get into much of the VA Med website. After a dozen or more phone calls, somebody stumbled onto a guy at a different clinic in a different state.that was able to correct it.

California

TNTeenager
Your tax dollars at work!

Our experience has been better.

BIL was a VN-era disabled vet. (Crashed by a drunk driver in Texas, not combat). Barely able to live alone, handicapped, and scrambled mind. VA took care of him for half a century. My wife had lots of frustrations trying to get VA prescriptions, handicap shoes, etc for him but at least VA was there as a resource.

Gator6x4

Blabbermouth
The VA demonstrates perfectly .. why we don't want Government Health Care / Medicare For All.
The VA has without a doubt made mistakes in providing health and wellness care for people who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States. Given the huge number of people eligible for VA medical care I think overall they are doing a good job. One of the biggest complaints I hear is the VA will not provide the same medical care and coverage for spouses and children that the ex-military member is receiving.

The VA has rules. One has to go through a approval or vetting process before acceptance into the VA care Network. Once accepted you are provided with a VA made and issued identification card. The VA will not accept outside identification cards. The VA Rules and Regulations must be followed. The VA will not bend or modify it's rules to comply with the rules each individual person receiving services from the VA thinks should be applicable. The VA is a quasi military organization. It is like the military when it comes to rules and regulations. Rules and regulations are uniformly applicable to all.

The VA is like all other Federal Agencies it lives or dies by budget appropriations. The wars in the Middle East left the VA struggling for materials, facilities and resources to provide care for the large influx of people needing care because of the two Iraq wars and the 20 plus year war in Afghanistan. VA Funding is not keeping pace with need. One in five Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans are reportedly suffering from PTSD.

Molalla1

TNTeenager
The VA demonstrates perfectly .. why we don't want Government Health Care / Medicare For All.
I don't have any proof, but I sure have heard horror about our VA . . . one in particular sticks out . . . guy was a diabetic and was scheduled to have a leg amputated . . . yep, they took the wrong leg.

Diggin_It!

Regular
^^ Donny was supposed to fix that stuff. He failed there too. He didn't like Vets that got hurt or captured.

Gator6x4

Blabbermouth
I don't have any proof, but I sure have heard horror about our VA . . . one in particular sticks out . . . guy was a diabetic and was scheduled to have a leg amputated . . . yep, they took the wrong leg.
The only such incident that I am aware of occurring recently was not in the US. I posted a link to the one I am aware of, please post a link to what you posted.

Molalla1

TNTeenager

lostcreekranch

Blabbermouth
^^ Donny was supposed to fix that stuff. He failed there too. He didn't like Vets that got hurt or captured.
So .. Mr. TDS .. what has Biden done for the VA.. What did Obama do for the VA.

NOTHING!

Trump achieves major victories for veterans

lostcreekranch

Blabbermouth
The VA has without a doubt made mistakes in providing health and wellness care for people who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States. Given the huge number of people eligible for VA medical care I think overall they are doing a good job. One of the biggest complaints I hear is the VA will not provide the same medical care and coverage for spouses and children that the ex-military member is receiving.

The VA has rules. One has to go through a approval or vetting process before acceptance into the VA care Network. Once accepted you are provided with a VA made and issued identification card. The VA will not accept outside identification cards. The VA Rules and Regulations must be followed. The VA will not bend or modify it's rules to comply with the rules each individual person receiving services from the VA thinks should be applicable. The VA is a quasi military organization. It is like the military when it comes to rules and regulations. Rules and regulations are uniformly applicable to all.

The VA is like all other Federal Agencies it lives or dies by budget appropriations. The wars in the Middle East left the VA struggling for materials, facilities and resources to provide care for the large influx of people needing care because of the two Iraq wars and the 20 plus year war in Afghanistan. VA Funding is not keeping pace with need. One in five Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans are reportedly suffering from PTSD.
You quoted me;

"The VA demonstrates perfectly .. why we don't want Government Health Care / Medicare For All."

Then never gave an answer beyond offering "excuses" for the VA.

"The VA is like all other Federal Agencies it lives or dies by budget appropriations. "

WTH do YOU think the government would do .. if EVERYONE depended on them for healthcare?

Molalla1

TNTeenager
You quoted me;

"The VA demonstrates perfectly .. why we don't want Government Health Care / Medicare For All."

"The VA is like all other Federal Agencies it lives or dies by budget appropriations. "

WTH do YOU think the government would do .. if EVERYONE depended on them for healthcare?
(y)

Gator6x4

Blabbermouth
You quoted me;

The VA health care is Health care for United States Vets. It is not Health Care for "EVERYONE". Everyone would be ever person in the world. I know you think the US is the Policeman for the world but it is not. Just as the VA is not nor has it ever been a Health Care Provider for EVERYONE.

Now if you are referring to GOVERNMENT managed and provided Health Care several countries with a Democracy type government does provide universal health care to all citizens. These countries are ranked higher than the US on health care provided to it citizens than the US.