Is the USA a racist country?

California

TNTeenager
Interesting read.....

Of course. The country was founded on the backs of slaves. Independence was declared specifically to evade Britain's end to slavery.

Arbitrary advantage/disadvantage based on race, and unequal justice are the most serious aspects continuing through today.

How many biracial couples get stares?

Gator6x4

TNTeenager
Interesting read.....

‘Some of the most racist people I have ever met in my walk through life were black. Ever heard of or met a member of a Jamaican Posse?

All races must come to the table before the problem will be solved. Whites, Hispanics, Indian. Asian, Oriental and Blacks. Many attempts have been made, all failed to solve the problem.

Cities tried Community Policing. The community
policing concept started in the early seventies and ended in 2003 because the Police were the only one participating.

Mace Canute

Blabbermouth
Top Poster Of Month
‘Some of the most racist people I have ever met in my walk through life were black...........
Too much history where whites said one thing and did the opposite probably was the impetus for them to treat whites the same way whites treated blacks...minus the lynchings and whippings and chains of course. Of course once they learned the writers of the Declaration of Independence which said "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" were slave owners, that likely sealed it for them that whites are hypocrites and did not deserve any respect. They also learned how whites treated the Native people which wouldn't have done anything to convince them otherwise.

It's called "cause and effect" for a reason.

California

TNTeenager
I'm not sure 'all races must come to the table' to resolve racism is a solution. Americans think of themselves as individuals while many see the 'other' as a uniform group, with the assumption that if you talk to 'other's' leader then you have spoken to all. But the 'other' Americans don't particularly see any leader to rally around, they are individual Americans like everybody.

I believe only individual commitments to leave racism behind is going to get us beyond this. At least that's what I (and my extended family) have taught our kids. You wouldn't believe the diversity at the annual picnic at the ranch. And they're all just people rather than representatives of something.

Today's racism example, or at least the first example I encountered.

Gator6x4

TNTeenager
Too much history where whites said one thing and did the opposite probably was the impetus for them to treat whites the same way whites treated blacks...minus the lynchings and whippings and chains of course. Of course once they learned the writers of the Declaration of Independence which said "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" were slave owners, that likely sealed it for them that whites are hypocrites and did not deserve any respect. They also learned how whites treated the Native people which wouldn't have done anything to convince them otherwise.

It's called "cause and effect" for a reason.
Cause and effect? Jesse Jackson's message is too advanced for most

Last edited:

California

TNTeenager
Jesse Jackson has a strong streak of ambulance-chaser, grifter, self promotion. While conservatives love to quote him as a stereotype spokesman for the 'other' I doubt he has broad credibility with the Americans that conservatives assert that he represents.

That link just went to the Front Page. Is this the article you referred to?

JerryBob

Peanut Gallery
I'm not sure 'all races must come to the table' to resolve racism is a solution. Americans think of themselves as individuals while many see the 'other' as a uniform group, with the assumption that if you talk to 'other's' leader then you have spoken to all. But the 'other' Americans don't particularly see any leader to rally around, they are individual Americans like everybody.

I believe only individual commitments to leave racism behind is going to get us beyond this. At least that's what I (and my extended family) have taught our kids. You wouldn't believe the diversity at the annual picnic at the ranch. And they're all just people rather than representatives of something.

Today's racism example, or at least the first example I encountered.
So true.....good post.....wouldn't it be great if one day our descendants thought how incredible it was for people to have spent so much time thinking about the amount of melanin in our skin....or the shape in our eyes.....or our gender instead of the unique identities we all possess as humans. .

Mace Canute

Blabbermouth
Top Poster Of Month
Jaleel Stallings argued self-defense during his July trial, testifying that he fired at the unmarked white van after he was struck in the chest with what turned out to be a nonlethal rubber bullet fired by police.
Stallings, 29, testified that he thought he was being attacked by civilians, had been struck by a bullet and was potentially bleeding out, his attorney, Eric Rice, told The Associated Press on Friday. Court documents show that after Stallings was hit, he fired three shots toward the van as a warning, then took cover. He surrendered when he realized he had fired at police. No officers were hit.

According to court documents in his case, when Stallings realized he had fired at police officers, he immediately put his gun on the ground and lay face down, with his hands on the ground. A pretrial order from Judge William Koch said Stallings was motionless for 20 seconds and posed no obvious threat before Officer Justin Stetson and Sgt. Andrew Bittell approached him. The order says Stetson began kicking and punching Stallings in the head and neck, and Bittell began kneeing and punching him in the stomach, chest and back.

MC

Administrator
Staff member
It's just ignorance. It's not just about race, it's everything from looks to height to money to cars you drive to the way your voice sounds, your religion, your gender, the football team you like, and everything you can think of. Kids develop divisive language, habits, and exclusionary mentalities at a young age and usually they hold on to that for the rest of their lives. In fact the conflict is celebrated in society. We value "teamwork" at the expense of the other "team" being "the enemy" for example. So while racism is there no doubt, it's really just another symptom of ignorance that people display. Yeah there are many injustices, have been some really bad ones, but moving on to a place of building bridges and connecting us all as humans is how this mess is going to get untangled. The current division in society is just people resistant to change.

Gator6x4

TNTeenager
The United States society has morphed into a lawless society. The majority of society who would do what is right all the time has shrunk. The minority of society who will not do what is right anytime has grown. The numbers of people who believes laws and the rule of law applies to others not them and those who believe the United States Laws and Rule of Law is, White Man Law has also increased.
The lawless society of today has resulted in an increase in criminal behavior and loss of life.

'I can't believe the numbers': Mass shootings, homicide rates, gun sales hit highest levels since 1990s (msn.com)

Throwing money at the problem is not going to solve it, it will only make it worse. Everyone must come to the table. All must come to an agreement on the problem and how we can work together as a community or as a Nation to solve the problem.

California

TNTeenager
moving on to a place of building bridges and connecting us all as humans is how this mess is going to get untangled. The current division in society is just people resistant to change.
I agree wholeheartedly with you that that moving on and connecting as humans is what is needed for the world to live in peace. This should be the goal of all decent people everywhere.
So while racism is there no doubt, it's really just another symptom of ignorance
I think American racism toward the descendants of slaves is different from the tribalism you note based on differences in wealth, religion, appearance, sports team, whatever. Those have some underlying basis that the 'other' has a chance of winning, of becoming superior, in some sense. But the American slave economy had to include a belief that the slaves had no human soul, that God had condemned them for some reason and that they had no God-given right to hold an opinion on anything. The Christian justifications for continuing slavery were widespread, and just plain evil. This really came into focus as other nations abandoned slavery on moral grounds while meanwhile the US doubled down claiming God's will justified buying, selling, breeding slaves same as livestock.

I think we still have a faint echo of this belief that black Americans have no standing as citizens, in the recent complaints that football players have no right to express a political opinion. Things were more stark 50 years ago, look at any compilation of MLK's speeches for a broader illustration of this concern. Things are better now but the holdouts who cling to their ignorance re racism and all the other tribalisms you noted, continue to be a powerful element of American society. The demagogues who encourage them and rely on their support have no human decency and need to be voted out.

JerryBob

Peanut Gallery
Is it fixable? All of you make good points but can it be fixed? I am very glad to be at this stage of my life....I feel sorry for my grandkids....we are leaving them with one heck of a mess.

California

TNTeenager
"You, who are on the road
Must have a code that you can live by
And so, become yourself
Because the past is just a goodbye
Teach your children well
Their father's hell did slowly go by
And feed them on your dreams
The one they pick's the one you'll know by
Don't you ever ask them, "Why?"
If they told you, you would cry
So just look at them and sigh
And know they love you
And you (Can you hear?) of tender years (And do you care?)
Can't know the fears (And can you see?)
That your elders grew by (We must be free)
And so, please help (To teach your children)
Them with your youth (What you believe in)
They seek the truth (Make a world)
Before they can die (That we can live in)
And teach your parents well
Their children's hell will slowly go by
Don't you ever ask them, "Why?
If they told you, you will cry
And know they love you

JerryBob

Peanut Gallery
How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man?
How many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand?
Yes, and how many times must the cannonballs fly
Before they're forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind
Yes, and how many years must a mountain exist
Before it is washed to the sea?
And how many years can some people exist
Before they're allowed to be free?
Yes, and how many times can a man turn his head
And pretend that he just doesn't see?
Yes, and how many times must a man look up
Before he can see the sky?
And how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?

Gator6x4

TNTeenager
How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man?
How many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand?
Yes, and how many times must the cannonballs fly
Before they're forever banned?
Yes, and how many years must a mountain exist
Before it is washed to the sea?
And how many years can some people exist
Before they're allowed to be free?
Yes, and how many times can a man turn his head
And pretend that he just doesn't see?
Yes, and how many times must a man look up
Before he can see the sky?
And how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
Oh yes Bob Dylan’s Blowing in the Wind.

Gator6x4

TNTeenager
"You, who are on the road
Must have a code that you can live by
And so, become yourself
Because the past is just a goodbye
Teach your children well
Their father's hell did slowly go by
Don't you ever ask them, "Why?"
If they told you, you would cry
And know they love you
And you (Can you hear?) of tender years (And do you care?)
Can't know the fears (And can you see?)
That your elders grew by (We must be free)
And so, please help (To teach your children)
Them with your youth (What you believe in)
They seek the truth (Make a world)
Before they can die (That we can live in)
And teach your parents well
Their children's hell will slowly go by
Don't you ever ask them, "Why?
If they told you, you will cry
And know they love you
One of the songs sung at the Kennedy Center by the Nashville Country Artists in there musical presentation to the then President Clinton.

Mace Canute

Blabbermouth
Top Poster Of Month
I agree wholeheartedly with you that that moving on and connecting as humans is what is needed for the world to live in peace. This should be the goal of all decent people everywhere.I think American racism toward the descendants of slaves is different from the tribalism you note based on differences in wealth, religion, appearance, sports team, whatever. Those have some underlying basis that the 'other' has a chance of winning, of becoming superior, in some sense. But the American slave economy had to include a belief that the slaves had no human soul, that God had condemned them for some reason and that they had no God-given right to hold an opinion on anything. The Christian justifications for continuing slavery were widespread, and just plain evil. This really came into focus as other nations abandoned slavery on moral grounds while meanwhile the US doubled down claiming God's will justified buying, selling, breeding slaves same as livestock.

I think we still have a faint echo of this belief that black Americans have no standing as citizens, in the recent complaints that football players have no right to express a political opinion. Things were more stark 50 years ago, look at any compilation of MLK's speeches for a broader illustration of this concern. Things are better now but the holdouts who cling to their ignorance re racism and all the other tribalisms you noted, continue to be a powerful element of American society. The demagogues who encourage them and rely on their support have no human decency and need to be voted out.
You nailed it. I remember reading that the top echelons in the four major Christian church groups at the time never said a word about how the whites were treating the Native people and that was taken to mean they approved of it. Heathens, you know...

California

TNTeenager
One of the songs sung at the Kennedy Center by the Nashville Country Artists in their musical presentation to the then President Clinton.
Teach Your Children was written even earlier, in 1970. At a moment which seemed an even darker hour than today.

Nixon had won election on the promise to end Vietnam then instead, expanded into invading Cambodia and Laos. The country was already tired of a war that was by then down to an average of 'only' 25 American solders killed every week. Week after week, year after year. For nothing. The nightly news recited the names of each day's dead to end the broadcast.

California governor Reagan said famously "If it takes some bloodshed to get those college kids protesting the war under control, lets get on with it". A week later, those kids were killed by poorly trained National Guardsmen at Kent State. Lots more domestic battles including civil rights issues unresolved. I was directly affected, Governor Reagan closed all the state universities just before semester end and I received incompletes in all the courses that would have graduated me in a couple of weeks. It was a couple of years before I decided to write up enough independent study to persuade professors to accept this to complete the courses and get my diploma, I was too poor to go back as an on-campus student for another semester.

Graham Nash of Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young wrote that song. Basically he wrote an anthem speaking to those who were most discouraged, saying don't ever lose hope for a better day no matter how grim things get.

And that song still has a strong emotional impact on me. Before I went back to college I had already been two years 'fighting communism' in the barrios of Latin America for the State Department (Peace Corps), and then subsequently a draft resister for a long time by then, and it was wearing me down. Even now 50 years later if I hear that song my world stops for a moment.
America We Tried To Warn You -flowerpowerw.jpg