• We will be this forum soon. Please save any content that you wish to preserve by July 5, 2022. Thank you.

Officer fatally shoots man in wheelchair

drssg

Regular

I will be interested to see how this turns out. The guy was brandishing a deadly weapon. He showed an odd combination of irrational, aggressive, and suicidal behavior, and he was insisting on going back into the store from which he just got busted for shoplifting. Wouldn't a reasonable person conclude that he is likely to do something bad in there? I wonder what IS considered to be the proper protocol for dealing with a situation like this one.

If he got back inside and stabbed someone, I suspect the story would be how two police officers were on the scene and did nothing to stop the tragedy.

Although the officers couldn't have known this, the guy previously served time for attempted murder. He sounds like a dangerous nut.

Gator6x4

Blabbermouth

I will be interested to see how this turns out. The guy was brandishing a deadly weapon. He showed an odd combination of irrational, aggressive, and suicidal behavior, and he was insisting on going back into the store from which he just got busted for shoplifting. Wouldn't a reasonable person conclude that he is likely to do something bad in there? I wonder what IS considered to be the proper protocol for dealing with a situation like this one.

If he got back inside and stabbed someone, I suspect the story would be how two police officers were on the scene and did nothing to stop the tragedy.

Although the officers couldn't have known this, the guy previously served time for attempted murder. He sounds like a dangerous nut.

Turn the wheel chair over Would have been the correct protocol. It is hard for someone sitting in a wheel chair to stab someone approaching from their rear. I personally have never seen a paraplegic when dumped from a wheel chair that posed a danger sufficient to warrant the taking of their life.

drssg

Regular
Turn the wheel chair over Would have been the correct protocol. It is hard for someone sitting in a wheel chair to stab someone approaching from their rear. I personally have never seen a paraplegic when dumped from a wheel chair that posed a danger sufficient to warrant the taking of their life.
That could be. It was some sort of motorized scooter, so I don't know how heavy or difficult it is to tip over. I also don't know if he's a paraplegic or just has some difficulty walking.

I also don't know how up close and personal an officer is expected to get with someone brandishing a knife. I always thought a lethal threat results in lethal force.

Gator6x4

Blabbermouth
That could be. It was some sort of motorized scooter, so I don't know how heavy or difficult it is to tip over. I also don't know if he's a paraplegic or just has some difficulty walking.

I also don't know how up close and personal an officer is expected to get with someone brandishing a knife. I always thought a lethal threat results in lethal force.
If you ever need to try, get behind the person and grab the top of the high back and pull backwards. If the individual is moving forward, grab the top of the back and stand still. Their forward momentum will turn them over backwards.

Most of the battery powered wheel chairs have a high back with a head rest so if you tip the individual backward you will not damage the head of the person in the wheel chair. Now the old push type wheel chairs do not have head rests so be careful when pulling someone backward in one of those you could crack the watermelon on their shoulder.

aczlan

If you ever need to try, get behind the person and grab the top of the high back and pull backwards. If the individual is moving forward, grab the top of the back and stand still. Their forward momentum will turn them over backwards.
Most of the battery powered wheel chairs have a high back with a head rest so if you tip the individual backward you will not damage the head of the person in the wheel chair. Now the old push type wheel chairs do not have head rests so be careful when pulling someone backward in one of those you could crack the watermelon on their shoulder.
The wheelchair in this case appears to be Merits Health Gemini P301 wheelchair (or something similar), it (like EVERY similar wheelchair I have seen) has "wheelie bars" with small rollers in the back for exactly such a scenario (or in case the operator snags the headrest on something), so it wont go over backwards easily:
1638897843525.png

1638897871780.png

1638897886597.png

Also, if you are grabbing it by the headrest and the person driving is armed with a knife, you are risking getting your hands slashed by said knife (especially if they have been reported to have the strength to steal a toolbox).
Now, you could try to flip the "freewheel" levers at the back of the chair, but that still involves getting into range of a knife and as soon as you flip one, the wheelchair is going to do a 180 and put you in range of the knife if you weren't already.

Aaron Z

Schrute Farm

TNTeenager
Top Poster Of Month
The wheelchair in this case appears to be Merits Health Gemini P301 wheelchair (or something similar), it (like EVERY similar wheelchair I have seen) has "wheelie bars" with small rollers in the back for exactly such a scenario (or in case the operator snags the headrest on something), so it wont go over backwards easily:
View attachment 10162

View attachment 10163

View attachment 10164

Also, if you are grabbing it by the headrest and the person driving is armed with a knife, you are risking getting your hands slashed by said knife (especially if they have been reported to have the strength to steal a toolbox).
Now, you could try to flip the "freewheel" levers at the back of the chair, but that still involves getting into range of a knife and as soon as you flip one, the wheelchair is going to do a 180 and put you in range of the knife if you weren't already.

Aaron Z
Like I thought just dint think it'd be heard. Anything you tried to do puts you in reach of the wielding knife.