• We will be this forum soon. Please save any content that you wish to preserve by July 5, 2022. Thank you.

Stuff that doesn't fit well in other threads.

lostcreekranch

Blabbermouth
April 29, 2004

World War II monument opens in Washington, D.C.
On April 29, 2004, the World War II Memorial opens in Washington, D.C. to thousands of visitors, providing overdue recognition for the 16 million U.S. men and women who served in the war. The memorial is located on 7.4 acres on the former site of the Rainbow Pool at the National Mall between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial. The Capitol dome is seen to the east, and Arlington Cemetery is just across the Potomac River to the west.

The granite and bronze monument features fountains between arches symbolizing hostilities in Europe and the Far East. The arches are flanked by semicircles of pillars, one each for the states, territories and the District of Columbia. Beyond the pool is a curved wall of 4,000 gold stars, one for every 100 Americans killed in the war.An Announcement Stone proclaims that the memorial honors those “Americans who took up the struggle during the Second World War and made the sacrifices to perpetuate the gift our forefathers entrusted to us: A nation conceived in liberty and justice.”

Though the federal government donated $16 million to the memorial fund, it took more than $164 million in private donations to get it built. Former Kansas Sen. Bob Dole, who was severely wounded in the war, and actor Tom Hanks were among its most vocal supporters. Only a fraction of the 16 million Americans who served in the war would ever see it. Four million World War II veterans were living at the time, with more than 1,100 dying every day, according to government records.

The memorial was inspired by Roger Durbin of Berkey, Ohio, who served under Gen. George S. Patton. At a fish fry near Toledo in February 1987, he asked U.S. Rep. Marcy Kaptur why there was no memorial on the Mall to honor World War II veterans. Kaptur, a Democrat from Ohio, soon introduced legislation to build one, starting a process that would stumble along through 17 years of legislative, legal and artistic entanglements. Durbin died of pancreatic cancer in 2000.

The monument was formally dedicated May 29, 2004, by U.S. President George W. Bush.

lostcreekranch

Blabbermouth
April 30, 1803

United States and France conclude the Louisiana Purchase
On April 30, 1803, representatives of the United States and Napoleonic France conclude negotiations for the Louisiana Purchase, a massive land sale that doubles the size of the young American republic. What was known as Louisiana Territory comprised most of modern-day United States between the Mississippi and the Rocky Mountains, with the exceptions of Texas, parts of New Mexico, and other pockets of land already controlled by the United States. A formal treaty for the Louisiana Purchase, antedated to April 30, was signed two days later.

Schrute Farm

TNTeenager
Top Poster Of Month
Washington Post
NEW YORK — A six-month grand jury that was convened late last year to hear evidence against Donald Trump was set to expire this week, closing a chapter in a lengthy criminal investigation that appears to be fizzling out without charges against the former president, people familiar with matter said.

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg (D), who took office in January, inherited a probe launched by his predecessor, Cyrus R. Vance Jr., who was convinced that there was a case against Trump for crimes related to manipulating the value of property assets to secure tax advantages or better loan rates.

More lib heads exploding! 🤯

Molalla1

TNTeenager
I lost my best friend yesterday. My Australian Shepherd of 15 years and 6 months, I truly loved him and him me. He was a working dog and did until he passed.

Schrute Farm

TNTeenager
Top Poster Of Month
I lost my best friend yesterday. My Australian Shepherd of 15 years and 6 months, I truly loved him and him me. He was a working dog and did until he passed.
Sorry to hear that Mo. You were lucky to have each other.

455dan

Regular

Very sorry Molalla, when they pass it leaves a Huge hole.

Very, Very seldom a day goes by I don't think of losing my Norwegian Elk Hound'

My dad used to say dogs were emissaries sent by God to watch and help man.
"Man's Best Friend" Truth

Last edited:

Molalla1

TNTeenager
Well folks thought I would update my post and say I have acquired another Aussie, I will never forget my best friend.

drssg

Regular
That's good to hear, Molalla1. Your memories of your best friend will remain, and you can also continue to create new memories. Dogs are good for the soul. (y)

flyerdan

Losing them is hard, but I think the emptiness they leave is harder... They are a fantastic dog, my neighbor down the road has a prolific escape artist who seems to like coming here when she does a runner. Always glad to welcome her in, although my cats would opine differently.