The Cleveland Guardians!

California

TNTeenager
. . . I believe this name changing has gone too far.
Nah. If those team names actually portrayed respect for the people who were here before us then their descendants wouldn't be protesting random use of 'Indians'. There's too much caricature in the present use of the term.

Stories about ethnic sensitivities:

Long ago the state lost a federal lawsuit, and had to find minority vendors to list for state purchases. I and a Native American spent a year visiting all corners of the state. He verified ethnic status and I verified financial stuff, mainly that we weren't looking at a pass-through fraud placed in front of an existing vendor. For example a trusted foreman newly claimed as separate but who was the larger firm's only vendor and who had no warehouse etc. (We found a lot of those). My buddy was real touchy about stereotypes and quickly saw through bogus ethnicity claims. I would sit back and wince at some of the questions he boldly asked.

One of my favorite encounters was someone the state already traditionally bought from. The state purchasing agent wanted that vendor listed as minority-Hispanic to improve their statistics. We went to see them in Monterey. Yep, the historic first capital of California. The lumberyard owner told us they had sold to the government of Spain back in the day, then Mexico, then to the new California government, so he supposed he qualified under present rules but he hadn't given it much thought.

And another more native-american encounter later when I reviewed contract performance. On a remote reservation in the wilds of NW California I asked how the tribal government had bought their first little bus, related to clinic access, for less than it should have cost. The administrator said what the bought was really configured as an airport parking shuttle that for some reason the vendor came up and demo'd to them in person after they advertised for bids. Administrator said they offered traditional hospitality to the vendor - that was actually modern local culture in the Humboldt Triangle at the time. They got the vendor so stoned for three days straight that he relented and sold them the bus below cost. As I grinned, the local native american purchasing agent grinned too, and told me 'By the way, I have a master's degree in health administration'.

Last edited:

JerryBob

Peanut Gallery
Keep it, probably will be worth some money . . . I believe this name changing has gone too far.
I think all teams should be named after body parts....like Cleveland.....they could be the Armpits....ever been to Cleveland...very appropriate.

JerryBob

Peanut Gallery
If that were the case, it wouldn't take a "jenius" to know what a Trumplican ball team would be named! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
The Cleveland Armpits vs the Trumplican Pus sies.......they'd play the whole game without balls and never realize it.

JerryBob

Peanut Gallery
Guardians is a stupid name. They need to come up with something better.
How can they keep the Browns name in Cleveland......isn't that a bit racist like Indians? I really think body parts are the answer for team names. The Dallas Cowboys could become the A nus's......in honor of Texas's govenor.